SUBMISSIONS DEADLINE: March 1—May 23, 2021
No Set Theme
BEFORE SUBMITTING, PLEASE DO THREE THINGS:
(1) Read About Kakalak on this website.
(2) Read Kakalak Judging Process on this website.
(3) Read these instructions step by step.
POETRY CONTEST GUIDELINES
1. Eligibility: Anyone
2. How/What to Submit:
- A submission is 1 to 3 poems.
- Send up to 3 poems by email as WORD formatted attachments. Make each poem a separate file.
- We accept any style, virtually any subject. (See Kakalak Judging Process for more details.)
- Each poem can be up to 60 lines (including title and stanza breaks).
- Submit poems to Kakalak@carolina.rr.com. Include your name in the subject line.
Example: “Jack Spratt Poetry Submission for Kakalak 2021.”
- In the body of your email, include the following:
- Your full name as you want it to appear in Kakalak 2021
- Your name as it is submitted to us by PayPal
- Phone number
- Email address
- USPS mailing address—If accepted, needed to mail your copy
- Titles of submissions—Exactly as you want them to appear in our publication.
- Multiple submissions are allowed with a separate entry fee for each group of up to 3 poems.
- We accept unpublished work and work that has not won a monetary prize in another contest.
We define “unpublished” as not previously appearing in a print or online publication.
(See Kakalak Judging Process for more details.)
- Simultaneous submissions are allowed, but please notify us immediately if your piece is accepted elsewhere.
- Name the WORD file the title of your poem and include the title of the poem at the top of your file.
- If your poem is untitled, use the first line of the poem as the file name, but please note we do prefer titled poems and will suggest a title if you do not provide one.
- Do NOT include any personal information in the WORD file.
- PLEASE use the font Times New Roman, 12 point.
Click on the link below to remit your non-refundable reading fee of $12 per submission via PayPal or credit card. A group of 1 to 3 poems counts as one submission. Note we will forward submissions to the judges upon receipt of payment.
First Prize: $300
Second Prize: $150
Third Prize: $75
Honorable Mentions: $20
All those accepted for publication receive one free copy of the published book.
Payment of prizes is contingent upon poets’ granting first-time publication rights to MOONSHINE REVIEW PRESS for publication in KAKALAK 2021. Prize money is paid at time of publication. After publication, poets agree that, should their poetry be published again elsewhere, they will acknowledge KAKALAK 2021 as the place of first publication.
Anne M. Kaylor
Executive Editor & Publisher